View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 AM

For a card like the Washington Times Ty Cobb, in which only 2 or 3 exist, it would make hardly a difference to me whether it were graded SGC 2 or SGC 6. I might pay a small premium for the better condition example, but not a large one.[/QUOTE]

Well, Wesley, I know I picked a tough nut to crack with the Cobb. You are logically sound in the respect that since there are only 2-3 that exist, it would hardly make any difference to you which one you might have.

However, your tight clenching of your coin purse tells me that if a better condition example be set before you, you would actually have the temerity to think you could bag it for a few pennies more. Or, perhaps you were simply stating that a better condition card means nothing to you, but you would force yourself to part with a couple more dimes, and the seller should thank you for that.

Wesley, if only sellers were that big of chumps; hey, you and I would have ourselves a whale of a collection. Maybe you could get in the face of the gentleman who purchased the T-206 Honus Wagner in PSA8 and tell him he really blew it. Why, he should have just been content with a smashed poor 1; they only cost $317,000. With your buying philosophy, he should have just offered, say $325,000, for the better condition one that everybody and their jealous uncle says is trimmed and expect the seller and SCP Auctions that brokered the individual sale to come bring him that gem right here and now in their limo.

I mean, if you could talk him into it, I would stand behind you and marvel. I would pound you on the back. Then again, Ken Kendrick is a General Partner of the Arizona Diamondbacks. He might have several bags of loose team mascots for people that enrage him. Hey Wes, if he starts throwin' those rattlesnakes, man, I'm out of here. But go ahead and try. Prices on great stuff would go down just like that if Ken caved in to your chop suey hooey line of thinking.

In the mean time buddy, let's hoist one to each other and enjoy that beautiful picture of the actual 1910 Washington Times Ty Cobb card in the Mastro Auctions catalog from a few years ago; you know, the one and only time they offered one from 1995 to 2008. At least we can enjoy THAT.

In all sincerity, though I have been sincere here all the way, if that is how you wish to collect, it is your money and you do as you wish. It is still a free country; well, sorta. Take care, collecting mate. -Brian Powell