View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post

I shall now make it longer.

Remember, I said I would include a prewar example. I respect Leon's wishes, and want to keep you all happy. Let's bring it down to your favorite time frame. OK, so low and behold someone turns up an EXCELLENT-TO- MINT 1910 Washington Times Ty Cobb. Virtually perfect, with only just enough corner wear to render it "only a SGC 80/PSA 6". I mean, the deep crimson borders are rich and undisturbed. Ty Cobb's portrait with that quintessential glare and fire in his eyes visage is overwhelmingly attractive and most desirable. Few collect the set. Just like collecting the Stahl-Meyer Franks. I don't care about the set---I love Mickey Mantle and Roy Campanella. Same here, if you put such a brilliant piece in an All-State Display case displaying a portfolio of Ty's best-looking, most artistically-designed pieces----there would be the T-3, there would be all 4 T-206s, there would be one of the Cracker Jack, the T-205, the '33 Goudey Sport King, several of those fantastic postcards (The Rose Company, etc.), a Colgan's Chip, and maybe if you are daring, a Conlon color card that was well-done of him stealing third into Jimmy Austin. But believe you me, the piece that the Cobb connoisseurs would be drooling over (keep the door of it closed, just in case) would be that 1910 Washington Times--for its eye appeal, its scarcity, its 1 of 1 rarity, and the fact it would be a fantastic conversation piece. You might even enjoy watching your rivals go white as a sheet at its sight--bitten clean through their windpipe. That would be a nice example of a North Pole six-figure card. A piece de resistance Ty Cobb. Just wish someone would turn one up.

Before I got to the end of this paragraph, I thought perhaps you knew of the existence of a EX-MT Washington Time Ty Cobb card. But it appears you were using that only as a hypotethetical to illustrate your point.

For a card like the Washington Times Ty Cobb, in which only 2 or 3 exist, it would make hardly a difference to me whether it were graded SGC 2 or SGC 6. I might pay a small premium for the better condition example, but not a large one.