View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 01:43 PM

Certainly an item I would love to have in my collection. One would think more Burdick correspondence would have survived. It's hard to peg value on things like this, and there are two schools of thought on the subject. Some contend that holographic material from the keynote "fringe" characters in baseball's history is next to worthless (from a monetary standpoint), while others understand the beauty and appreciate how wonderful an addition these items can be to a collection.

Case in point:

I have a Dodgers book that was signed twice by Hilda Chester. She died in obscurity in the late 1970's. It's signed once on the flyleaf and once on a photo of her featured inside. Only one or two other examples are known to exist. To me, Hilda's notoriety is certainly on par with that of McGreevey (yet we don't encounter a boatload of fake Chester material--that weasel hasn't popped yet--hi Peter ). Some colleagues literally guffawed when I explained to them about the value some of this material deserves. Their opinions were appreciated, but I have turned down a couple of reasonable offers for the Chester item in the past. It's one piece I have never felt the need to be negotiable about!

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 10-15-2009 at 01:44 PM.