View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 06:53 PM
J Hull

Hi Ted.

Very nice find on Doyle, Nicholls, and Rhoades. I love coming to this board and finding insights like that. Freely shared, too.

I'd preface this all with a big Probably, but one implication is that these five cards, like the other 350-460 cards, were among the last 350 series cards designed and distributed. I mean, if we go on the presumption that the reason some 350 series cards were also part of the 460 series is that their period of production overlapped both series.

I still have more research to do, but I firmly believe that the 350 series was actually several waves of releases. The first 350 cards were those that had been first produced as 150 series cards, and the Southern Leaguers that we've previously identified as having been in the first batch of Southern League cards released. Then probably some of the Eastern League and American Association players and the rest of the Southern Leaguers and some of the Major Leaguers and then some more of each, and finally, those 350 series cards that were released again with 460 series cards and backs.

One day we'll have to have a proper thread on that topic, because understanding the sequence will help unlock two other T206 conundrums: the "logic" behind front/back combinations, and the way that the cards were laid out on sheets for printing. Well, they're all intertwined -- unlock one and you unlock them all.

Last edited by jimonym; 10-08-2009 at 06:54 PM.