View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Default Early Baseball/Football Equipment Estate Auction Find

My Dad had a very good day this week at an estate auction. He had quite the haul of circa 1905 to 1909 baseball and football memoribilia from the estate of an Ursinus College athlete (although the price wasn't cheap, he is ecstatic with what he came home with).

I included many photos below and have questions about some of the specific items. The items included a circa 1906 White and Black pill box style cap, another early grey and green baseball cap, a nice Morrill Football Noseguard, a turn of the century Spalding Figure 8 baseball, a beautiful Reach Red and Blue stitched baseball, 3 Cabinet photos, a few RPPCs, 4 oversized Ursinus pennants, an early Spalding light colored Glove, an early but rough Victor glove, 11 red and blue stitch baseballs in rough condition, a pair of early football shoulder pads, and 2 sleeve extenders?

The Pillbox cap has some condition issues with some of the black striping missing in areas, some moth eaten areas, and fabric loss. Despite this aging, the cap still retains its original label which is Arthur Johnson & Company Athletic Supply of New York.

Next a closeup of the other baseball cap, which has no tagging, and consists of a brown brim and button, a grey top with green striping.

Then the early Spalding figure 8 baseball. The Spalding mark is still visible although partially obscured by wear. There is also other lettering below the Spalding mark on the sweet spot, that I cannot make out, although I suspect it reads Eureka. This ball is slighly smaller than the red and blue stitched balls measuring at 8 inches in circumference. The stitching of this ball is blue.
Can anyone help me with dating this ball? Did Spalding make other balls other than the Eureka brand?

The noseguard is a metal Morrill nose mask with a patent date of 1891.

Next is the Reach ball. This ball is in beautful shape and looks unused. The markings are the Reach trademark, Official American League BAll, and Warranted, 5 oz, 9 in. 1 Oz Rubber.

Can anyone help me with the date of this ball as well?

I am going to post the rest of the photos in a reply because I posted too many photos

Last edited by vintagesportflips; 09-16-2009 at 08:59 PM.