Thread: Wright Letters
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 07:48 PM
F.E. Maguire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
I own a Harry Wright contract amendment for Chas. Ferguson for the 1888 season, that was obtained from the Halper sale. Do I now need to worry about being the rightful owner of this item, which is fully handwritten and signed by Harry Wright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
You don't have to worry yet. It may be fine (but you might want to delete your post).
All due respect to Mr. Sloate, but I find this type of response to "philliefan" who obviously is genuinely concerned with the ramifications of having a stolen item-and, he probably has a right to be concerned-a little disturbing.

By suggesting he "remove his post" aren't you encouraging the very behaviour that created the environment for this type of criminal activity to flourish?

I think we should all be concerned with the New York Public Library recovering their rightful property.

Furthermore, we should probably take stock of our own collections. Going over some of your old auctions Mr Sloate, I think you might have a problem with the Harry Wright tintype you sold in 2002. I believe there are 2 missing from the Spalding Collection. How can you be sure one of them wasn't the one you sold? Or, how about the Knickerbocker Challenge letter in the same auction? Was it found in a grandma's attic perchance?

We all need to address this and take the appropriate actions. I'm sure the FBI won't stop at the Hunt Auction.