View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Dan Bretta

"Forman's attorney, Jeffrey Lichtman, says that his client doesn't deny that he has an outstanding balance. But that figure is less than the lawsuit contends because Mastro officials did not subtract the value of baseball cards sold by the auction house against Forman's wishes. Forman had given the cards to Mastro Auctions for a future sale, but when the economy turned sour - and with the FBI probe tarnishing the auction house's reputation - Forman decided to hold on to the cards. Instead, Lichtman says, they were sold at a Mastro Auction for much less than Forman might have gotten at a future date with a different auction house."

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, but Forman's defense sounds ridiculous to me....The shilling allegations against Mastro have been going on for years and I don't think for one minute that Forman didn't know about them...I also think it's ridiculous to hold Mastro responsible for an outside sale that didn't go through because the seller lost the comic book...no money changed hands! And why would Mastro return cards to Forman if he owed them $400,000?? What did Forman do with the items he won from Mastro?? And how does Forman/Lichtman know that he could have gotten more for the cards at a later date with a different auction house?? Especially considering the economy.