View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Donny Muth

Default Henderson humble?

I admit I don't know a lot about Henderson's off-field persona, but I do have one recount by a co-worker that kind of refutes the humble characterization.

Guy is at the baseball game with his elementary school age son who was a huge fan of Henderson. After the game, a bunch of fans are waiting to get autographs as the players leave the stadium. Guy asks Henderson for an autograph for his son. Henderson takes the paper from him, signs it, then wads it up and throws it back at the guy. Class act...

Maybe he had a bad day at the stadium or something, but he also smashed a little kid's world by ruining his image of his would-be baseball hero. That was uncalled for. If you make millions of dollars every year off of fans coming to see you play a game for a living then you should be professional enough to at least be courteous to your fans. Even saying "Sorry, no autographs today folks" would have passed as being OK.

Read the book called "3 Nights in August" by Buzz Bissinger for another account that talks a little about Henderson's true character when he played for Tony LaRussa.