View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
My HP All-in-One has been giving me problems off and on for so long that my resolve is finally teetering on the edge of triumphing over my inertia. My most recent card scans must have board members wondering if they're developing glaucoma. Haven't decided whether to buy a new all-in-one or just go the scanner route (as the printer on my All-in-One works fine). Wanted to get some opinions on products/models that work for y'all.

Anthony - I just had this happen with my HP D145 AIO that I had for 7+ years. I researched over 20 different AIO models (basically the top inkjet models from HP, Brother, Canon, Lexmark and a few others) and found only 2 models that had the 3 features I wanted:
1) CCD scanner - this is THE key if you want decent looking scans of graded cards. CCD technology takes a good image of something that's not directly pressed against the flatbed which is what happen when a card is in a slab.
2) Duplex printing/copying - I do a lot of article printing so the ability to have it automatically do 2 sided printing is important
3) Wireless connectivity - this was more of a "nice to have" but my wife gets annoyed at having to turn on the computer connected to the unit in order to print instead of just being able to print from her laptop.

Those 3 requirements in an "All in One" unit narrowed it down to the HP L7780 and the Canon MP980. Whereas the HP was praised in reviews for cartridges lasting longer then on a laser unit, the Canon was almost universally criticized for being an ink hog and having to replace the cartridge way to often. That made my choice for me - ordered the HP 2 days ago from NewEgg.com for $250 delivered.

If you want in AIO and don't need the duplex copying/printing the HP Photosmart C8180 outclassed everything by a ton. The CCD scanner on that model is 9600 DPI, which is off the charts.

Last edited by Matt; 05-28-2009 at 04:01 PM.