View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Greg Ecklund

T3's are a great suggestion as you can get cards graded 1 because of a simple pinhole that would otherwise look nothing like 1's

I would also suggest two sets not mentioned yet. Rather than a rambling paragraph on each I'll do a few pluses and minuses.

The first is M101-4

+ Huge number of popular players and Hall of Famers
+ Like T206, has a number of different backs, giving you a subset to chase within your set
+ Real photos, and a lot of them are cool and show off some details of the old time game in the background

- The Ruth rookie is your roadblock, but if you're going to splurge for one big card in your collection, why not that one?
- Cards not as readily available as super popular sets like 1933 Goudey and T206...you won't be able to just go on EBay and buy 40 or 50 of them at a time.

1940 Play Ball

+ Like M101-4, a large set with nice real photos a number of Hall of Famers
+ Most of them are dirt cheap in lower condition...in fact you could consider doing this set in SGC 30/40 condition
+ Contains many players from the Goudey era but also early cards of Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio, who would define the next era of baseball
+ Writeups on the back of the cards are great reading
+ Player nicknames on the front are cool...where else can you see "Twinkletoes" Selkirk or "Bad News" Hale? There is also the only card that I know of that identifies Joe Jackson as "Shoeless Joe" Jackson

- Many people don't like that retired players are included in the set (They number maybe 40 out of 240 - most are HOFers). I like this and think it adds to the enjoyment of reading the backs, but I think I'm in the minority.
- If you like your cards colorful, this set isn't for you

Nice topic...let us know when you decide!