View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Default A most unique T206 card has surfaced....perhaps the 525th ?

Posted By: Fred Y

Ted--

I grew up in Western New York--from 1946 to 1953 in Attica (age 6 to 13) and then on to Wellsville (smallest town in the US to support Professional baseball--the old Class D PONY Lg) until I left for college in 1958.

Most all of my 1948 thru 1952 Topps & Bowman came from that area around Buffalo!

NOTE: I always thought my '52 Topps baseball were COMPLETE at 250 cards---I never ran across a store in that WNY area that had even the 3rd series, let alone the High numbers! I didn't even know they existed until sometime in the early '80s when the card boom started & I reclaimed my treasures from the attic-type storeroom off the bathroom in my parents house!

PS---I have to add: I wholeheartedly agree w/ you--I wouldn't trade growing up in the late '40's thru the '50's for any other time!

The war was over, life was springing eternal, people were beginning to spend money again, businesses were starting up w/ great anticipation of success, and being a youth was as carefree & innocent a time as there ever has been!

The only dilemma was finding a larger rubber band to fit those HUGE cards Topps was putting out in 1952!---and BOTH my red & black Andy Pafko's suffered for it!