View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Yes, a 3rd option for Wagner's T206 "dis-card"....

Just as my theory on Plank (American Caramel Co. vs American Litho.), recall that the E91, E90-1 & E90-2 sets depicted Wagner
before T206 did. The founder of ACC, Daniel Lafean was a no-nonsense, enterprising guy who was also an avid BB fan. Do recall
that prior to purchasing ACC from Hershey in 1900, Lafean was the Director of Gettysburg College....Eddie Plank's alma mater.

Add to this mix, Lafean's close relationship with Connie Mack, it doesn't take much imagination to realize that ACC was not going
to give up their exclusive Rights to two of the major BB stars of that era....Plank and Wagner.
I'll add to this theory that the T206 1st series Eddie Collins (with bat) card was never issued due to ACC's control of the Rights
to their A's players.

I still cannot prove this theory of mine; however, this circumstantial evidence is very convincing. Furthermore, It is inferred that
it was Connie Mack's suggestion to Lafean to include BB card premiums with his candy products in early 1908.

To summarize my case here....Wagner was for kids consuming Caramels....he is in virtually in every Candy set from 1903-16

T-Rex TED