View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Bejulmag

I'm not quite sure of your question......
"So I'm clear, are you saying the scarcity of the Plank is because that card "reluctantly" had to be
pulled when the Wagner was?"

And, perhaps I wasn't clear when I said that the Plank cards were "discarded" along with the Wagner
cards.

When American Litho. printed the first batch of their PIEDMONT 150 T206's, they were on small sheets.
I read somewhere that their printing press had only a 19-inch (wide) track. They printed many 100's of
sheets which included the major BB stars of the 1908 season (Cubs, Giants, Tigers, including Plank and
Wagner). When they were told to scrap the Wagner cards, they took all the remaining uncut sheets and
discarded the entire sheets. I cannot picture them going to the trouble of scissor-cutting the Wagner's;
and, issuing the remaining cards on these sheets.

There are T206 Subjects in that 150 series that are tougher to find (of course not as tough as Plank or
Wagner). Guys like Burch, M. Brown, Donlin, Evers, Larry Doyle, Reulbach and Schulte that perhaps were
on those sheets.

Now for your 2nd point of reminding me of my more recent theory regarding the possible player rights con-
flict between American Caramel and American Litho. with respect to the Philadelphia A's players. It is still
a valid one....however, I'm mystified to explain how all those SWEET CAPORAL's were issued of Plank ? ?

TED Z