View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Default 1961 Peters Meats Confusion

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I hope you find one to your liking. There is a complete set of wiener wrappers in the current Legendary auction, as well as a complete graded set of the cards on ebay.

One word of caution if you are looking to score a high graded example. The cards were manufactured with a heavy wax coating. To borrow from the Legendary auction description, cards often will grade "technically lower due to minor disturbances to the protective heavy wax coating". Actually, I have seen some beautiful cards from this set just hammered by PSA for these "disturbances", which usually cannot be seen unless holding the card at an angle, and which are, IMO, a perfectly natural and unobtrusive consequence of the manufacturing and handling process. That doesn't bother me, as I tend to buy the card, not the holder. What does bother me is that some have removed the wax coating--I am told it can be done with patience--and have obtained great grades, as PSA does not seem to notice or care about the difference. This goes beyond trimming cards that were meant to be hand-cut anyway, and alters the natural character and qualities of the card. Of course, people have different views as to whether this is acceptable--my point is, if it matters to you, look closely at the card to make sure you are getting what you want.