View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Default 1961 Peters Meats Confusion

Posted By: Todd Schultz

yes, the porkette wrappers are noticeably scarcer than their wiener counterparts--I would say by 3 to 1. I was only two when these cards came out, so I don't have any real memory of their circulation, although I do recall as a youngster that the wieners themselves were a popular brand.
As for the cards, I have seen more complete wrappers available in the last ten years than I did in the preceding twenty, although that could be just due to the wonders of ebay and the Internet. They are still far from common. Curiously, you will rarely see one with staining, and they are often found in unfolded condition, suggesting that many escaped the packing factory without having been put to their purpose. I know that you could obtain them from the company directly, but those few I have seen that you could confirm were obtained in that fashion (through envelope or cover letter) were stapled.
For those who haven't seen one, here is a porkette wrapper:
[linked image]
As you can see, they were wrapped in the other direction than the wieners, probably because the product and packaging as a whole was smaller, and there is no reference to the cards also being available on the wieners.