View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Default 1952 Topps Mantle - I would like to have your opinions

Posted By: Paul S

My question - would I benefit from having this card professionally restored?

I take it you mean this financially. Objectively, my guess would be yes, because this past year I've seen a good number of "restored", or doctored, or whatever word one wants to use, 52 Mantles in Authentic holders go for a decent amount of money. However, I don't know what you paid for it.

I think you'd have to be careful though about the amount of restoration because there was one about 6 months ago up for auction, in a respective auction house, that was listed unholdered -- the grading co. note that accompanied it said the restoration was too extensive. So if getting it into a holder is your main objective you might want to find out where there line is drawn (no pun intended), if you can.

Now, subjectively, and this has nothing to do with you, I know this card is an icon, but honestly I am always amazed at the price this card brings in gorgeous condition but holdered Authentic. The darn thing is so cost prohibitive to so many of us that sometimes maybe it is the only way available of getting an example that some people can stand to look at. Personally though, for my own collection, and money being a object, I'd rather have one in poor or fair condition and know it got that way "naturally". That's just my opinion, I'm not trying to be preachy or holier than thou. I would just enjoy it more. But I understand this is not what you are really asking.