View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Default All-Star Team of the Decade: 1950's

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I followed Johnny Mize's career very closely, I also met him several times including at his home in Demorest, Georgia.
Your NY Giants (Leo Durocher & Co.) made the biggest mistake in August of '49 in letting him go to the Yankees.
Do you realize that in 1949 thru 1953 (except 1951), your Giants could have been the Nat'L winners and perhaps, the
World Champs (instead of the Yankees) had they kept Mize ? He was unbelievable in the clutch, averaging 1.5 Runs
produced for every game during his prime years (1936 - 1948). Match that performance with any other Major Leaguer ?

Look up his total career, talk about "Mr Clutch", in the 1952 World Series he single-handedly beat the powerful Dodger
team. Tell me how do you release a guy who led with 51 HR's and 138 RBI's in 1947. Then followed it up in 1948 leading
with 40 HR's and 125 RBI's ? ?
Explain that one....I bet you, you can't ? And, don't tell me about Tookie Gilbert or Whitey Lockman, who replaced Mize
at 1b, they were in no-ways any equal to Big Johnny Mize.

Your Giants big loss....my Yankees big gain....I sense some "sour grapes"....Gil, ole buddy.

TED Z