View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Default Investing or collecting

Posted By: Erich

Based on the personal collecting thread, there are many of us in the Forum that represent the 'new' generation of collectors. I'm 27, and started collecting pre-war 2 years ago. Like many, I got hooked in the early 90's when my Mom got me that first pack of 1991 topps. And the rest is history, or so they say.

As far as the investing or collecting question goes - it's both in my opinion. We all collect here because we love the hobby, the players, the history, the cards, and the relationships we develop with fellow enthusiasts. That said, we are all investors as well - whether we like to admit it or not. We exchange cash or cards for new ones that we expect to retain a certain value (and also satisfy a personal interest, of course). If the trade/cash value decreased in the cards we received, we would all most certainly be disappointed. You expect your cards to retain a certain value. Why do we all want high-grade HOF's? Well, because we want to complete a set, stand out as a collector, etc, but it's of course, at the same time, a very safe and secure investment.

I look forward to continuing to be an active part of this hobby for decades to come...