View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default Collect by team: what team and why?

Posted By: Scott

I grew up in the west-side suburbs of Chicago and have been a White Sox fan ever since. Got into vintage card collecting about 5 years ago and have tried to collect as many differenct types of cards that feature Sox players. After obtaining what I call the more common vintage types (T200, T201, T202, T205, T206, T207, T3, caramels, Cracker Jacks, Goudeys, Exhibits, etc) I became a bit frustrated as there are several sets that don't feature Sox players. I attribute this, in part, to the fact that the Sox have been a mediocre at best franchise and have not been blessed to have many of the game's greats play for them. I spend most of my time now looking for harder-to-find card types (eg. E107 Breisch Williams, E90-3, rare backs) as well as players who played for the Sox but are shown when playing for other teams--this allows me to focus on sets with no Sox players and/or minor leaguers and/or foreign cards.

While I have been rather disciplined in my focus on White Sox players, I somehow managed to pick up a Wagner E102 and am constantly tempted to pick up some of the other big names as well as start on some of the many T206's I like.

I only know of a couple other Sox collectors--guys I ran into thanks to this board.