View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default Collect by team: what team and why?

Posted By: Marc S.

I was four years old when the Phillies won their first World Series. Like Larry, I have a fairly extensive Mike Schmidt collection. Given that there is only a limited amount of budget to collect pre-war interests, I've found it particularly enthralling to get involved in, study and collect pre-war Phillies.

My favourite "could have been" player is Chas. Ferguson. My neatest item related to him is a one page note on Philadelphia National Ballclub letterhead written entirely by hand (and signed by) Harry Wright, to serve as a one-year contract extension for Chas. More importantly to me, the item is ex-Halper, and as some may now, as a 15-year old punk, I was given the opportunity to spend a day at Halper's collection with Joe D.

Phillies all the way -- so much rich history. Plus, from a personality perspective, I am a bit of a masochist. Despite being the reigning World Champions, the Phillies could win every game (e.g. 162-0) for the next seven seasons and still not be .500 as a franchise.