View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Default Talkin' BB with our heroes....tell us of your experiences ?

Posted By: J Levine

In the early and mid 1990s, every spring, I would drive to the University of Arizona in Tuscon and stay with friends who were attending college there. I would always try to catch a few games at Edison Park (home of the Whitesox Spring Training facility until this year, I think). I would usually just walk up the day of the game and buy a single seat behind home plate. Super cheap too.

One time, I bought my seat and went and sat down. I was sitting just behind home plate, behind a slew of people with radar guns, scorecards and notebooks. The person directly in front of me was a former major leaguer and it took me a moment to recognize Chico Carrasquel. Great guy and we chatted for a moment between innings. Around the third inning, an older gentleman sat down to my left and leaned over and said hello to Chico. As he leaned over I finally noticed him...it was Feller.

We chatted for an inning before he had to go. Before he left he signed my program and ticket (he offered to sign, I just wanted to shake his hand). He was wonderful to anyone who came up to him and was super knowledgeable. Asked me about my job, school, family, etc. Great chat.

Flash forward about 3 months and I was at a show he was signing at. I never do autographs and was just walking by the table on my way to see a dealer friend when I hear my name called. Turn around and Feller is waving! I wave back and walk over and we say hi and shake hands and chat for a moment. I was in baseball heaven. A Hall of Famer calling my name to come over! It was so great.

Still a fan of his to this day.

I have met many many former and current baseball players since then and have a few actual friendships with them, but that moment of Feller recognizing me and calling me over still stays with me.

Joshua