View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default Bud Selig thinking of reinstating Aaron as HR king

Posted By: Anthony S.

I'm sure this would be a completely objective decision on Bud's part, and would have nothing to do with the fact that he is close friends with and idolizes Henry Aaron.

Interesting quote from sports columnist, Bruce Jenkins, who is no Bonds fan, back in 2006:

"Meanwhile, labels of fanciful innocence are attached to every edge-seeking player from, say, the mid-'50s through the mid-'80s. I can't tell you how many times I've heard retired players mention Willie Mays or Henry Aaron in amphetamine conversations not as a criticism or indictment, but as a perfectly casual, almost affectionate reminder of the fact nearly everyone wanted (and still wants) a little pick-me-up. I visited too many clubhouses to be bothered in the slightest by such talk; "speed" has long been an integral part of the game. Just wondering, though: As we put a dunce cap on McGwire as he comes up for election with the sainted Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken, do we really know for sure neither of those two icons ever took a little something to enhance performance?