View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Default Identify an Old Mill

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Let's be honest, guys...

Outing an auction is good for the seller, he is more likely to get a good or fair price for his item.

Outing is good for everyone watching the auction, we can see where the price is driven by the bidder's wants and desires.

Outing avoids some windfall gain to a bidder who has an idea of the true value of something, but has found a seller who may not be aware of the true value. Folks deserve a fair price for something they're selling.

Yes. I'm in among those that see nothing wrong with outing an auction. Some jurisdictions have criminal statutes that deal with theft by deception, and that could be construed in certain situations to apply to someone buying an old cigar box of T206s, American Caramels, and Cracker Jack cards from a little old lady for $10, where she had no idea of the value of the cards. Golly, if you had a $1200 card and listed it so that collectors didn't find it but for one guy who did and he bought it for $20, knowing it was worth $1200, how would you feel? That isn't right. Outing avoids a seller getting cheated.

Ken, I think you have enough knowledgeable bidders after that card, some who won't issue a bid until 2 or 3 seconds before auction's end, that you'll get a fair price for it. What was said up there about ending an auction and relisting it is correct, you'll lose some bidders if that is done. I think you'll do well with this card.