View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Default Was Plank the 36th card in the Sweet Cap 150 Fac 649 set ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

If my theory is correct; and, there is a lot of circumstantial evidence to support it......a "cease and desist"
order by the American Caramel Co. (ALC) forced upon ATC not to portray certain A's players. The ALC was
first to acquire the rights to these players (in 1908) for their E91 and E90-1 sets.

Here is the list of A's that were portrayed in the 1st series of the E90-1 set......

HR Baker
Jack Barry
Eddie Collins
Harry Davis
Jimmy Dygert
Heinie Heitmuller.....not in T206
Joe Jackson...........not in T206
Harry Krause
Stuffy McInnis........not in T206
Eddie Plank
Ira Thomas

With the exception of a "short-lived" attempt to issue Plank, none of these Subjects were in the initial (150)
series of the T206 set issued in mid-1909. Subsequently, ATC issued most of these A's guys in the following
350 Series. Again, ATC issued Plank. Again, ALC quickly acted to stop ATC from issuing any more Plank cards.
To better understand this scenario, please read my prior thread on this. I will summarize it here with these
points....

1....American Caramel (ALC) was located in Philadelphia and Plank was the darling of the A's fans.

2....The founder of ALC was Mr. Lafean, who was a close friend of Connie Mack.

3....Prior to becoming owner of ALC, Mr. Lafean was the Director of Gettysburg College when Eddie Plank was
their ace pitcher.

I hope I have made this story a little clearer.

TED Z