View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Default A refresher course on why the Joe Doyle Nat'l card is so rare

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Yes.....the more the various T-backs that a T206 Subject was printed with does equate to
more card availability of that Subject.....for example....

Red Cobb has 24 diff. backs (and for that matter all 6 of the super-prints have at least 18)

Conversely, Subjects with the least variety of T-backs are the toughest......

Lundgren (Cubs)....P150, P350, EPDG
Elberfeld (Washington-portrait)....P350, SC350, OM
Dahlen (Brooklyn)....P350, Sov350, SC350, OM

OK, since you helped me complete my Sweet Caporal 150 Fac. 649 overprint set....I'll let you
in on my latest "wild imagination" regarding this sub-set. It has always bothered me that this
sub-set comprises of 35 cards. This number does not fit into my lowest common denominator
of a 6 card format in the printing of the T206's.

Your post regarding "Doc" Powers got me thinking. As you know, Powers was the Catcher of
choice for Eddie Plank, so it's my belief that there was a 36th card in the SC150/649 set, it
was Plank. A study of the players in this set indicates that 66% of them are either Pitchers
or Catchers.

Recall that the 150 Series Plank is only available with SC150 Fac 25 or SC150 Fac 30. There-
fore, I would say that a good probability exists that Amer. Litho. also printed Plank with the
Factory 649 back. But, never issued Plank due to the theoretical conflict with the American
Caramel Co.

[linked image]
......................Plank and Powers......perfect together................

TED Z