View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Default MRholdings on our BST ....Caveat Emptor!!

Posted By: robert a

"It is my understanding that no one has seen that particular version whether fake or real, so how can some one make a fake that just so happens to match the exact same font that is on the ad."

The exact same overprint exists. If you look a few posts up in the thread you'll see Mark's post that contains the new card and then Leon's example below. This new example (in my opinion) is a cheezy rip off of the genuine example. It's not new as far as never been seen before. New would mean new actual language. We've just never seen a distorted version before.

Now, I realize these items are very scarce and that something new to the hobby is always possible. If the fake Old Put wasn't hanging around right next to it, I might've been more open to this example being a fresh find.

Also, you're stating that the font is the same. Although similar, the size of the lettering is different. Why would maker of these take time and money to make a new one. This was a very small cache of cards at the time. I highly doubt there was two sources for this one overprint.

As far as collecting overprints and certain stamps such as toytown and the overpints mentioned in this thread, I like to think that we haven't been tricked as of yet. Even though it's merely a stamp, I feel like we will be able to identify the newer fakes whether were looking at the shade of ink of the exact size of the stamp. That Old Put stands out like a sore thumb.

Rob