Thread: 1910 E-UNC
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Default 1910 E-UNC

Posted By: David Smith

Thanks for the info Leon. I knew the complete, uncut box went for MUCH more than any individual card cut from a box has ever gone for, I was just too lazy to look it up.

So, the uncut box just proves my point.

Back in the day, the INTENT for items like the cards shown above, the W555 box and the white S74 silks were for them to be used one way and the value derived from them came from that use.

Today, the value derived from these items comes from them NOT being used the way they were intended back then. Again, this is proven by the W555 box going for $25,000 dollars; a far greater multiple than any individual W555 card has ever sold for.

It is proven when white S74 silks with the paper backing still intact routinely sell for more than white S74 silks without the paper backing. Furthur proof is gained when it is shown sellers have reattached the paper backing to an S74 silk, most likely doing so in the hopes that it 1) wont be discovered and 2) the sales price will increase.

Lastly, it is proven when a 1910 Unc Mathewson without the diamond sells for half the price of one with the diamond. Based on that and the sales price of the complete W555 box, just think what a complete, uncut 1910 Unc candy box with Mathewson on it might sell for?

No, doing things NOW to cards and other items which were initially supposed to be done 90 to 100 years ago simply doesn't make sense. This is especially true if it is just because the new owner doesn't like the asthetic looks of the item.

If THAT is the case, then why not just pass on the item and get one that looks the way you want? Doing that would save the prospective new owner the time it takes to do the butcher work on the item and also the money it takes to buy the item.

To me, those who want to butcher the card just because they don't like the looks of the diamond around it is similiar to a wealthy art collector having the Mona Lisa stolen, adding it to his collection and then cutting out parts of the painting which he doesn't particularly care for.

Why take the time, effort and money to do that when there are alternative options?

Just my two cents,

David