View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Default PA man arrested for memorabilia fraud

Posted By: Michael

Anthony, I bought some older wax packs at an auction from Hooper. Before purchasing myself and a couple other people with knowledge closely examined some of them and found no signs of any tampering. Hooper said they were from a card shop that had closed down in Hershey and I remembered the shop, and about the NICEST guy there is. I then sold some to an Ebayer and he insisted they were tampered with. We had a big dispute. It appears that some were legit and some were actually tampered with. If I ever buy any wax, I'll have to look at every pack.
The DA office called me a few weeks back and the person told me what Hooper has been accused of was intermingling good items and bad items. The packs had likely some good packs and some resealed packs. I know I purchased a number of things and when I examined them closer at home it was obvious that they were fake. I called Hooper the next day and he refunded me $1200.
Other buyers at the auction told me that he had resold similar items that were returned to him as fraudulent at other auctions. That is where I think he'll get in the most trouble. He can say he did not know the items were fraudulent, but reselling things he has been told were fraudulent may be his downfall.