View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Default Show us your 1941 Play Ball's....let's do a virtual set

Posted By: Brian Bary

Hi everybody and a pre-thanks for what I know will be a warm welcome.

I haven't purchased or traded for a card in about twenty years, but I love this forum.

I have a nice collection that I put together between about 1969 and 1988, nothing as cool as a lot of board members here, but a lot of stuff that I'm sure other board members would covet.

Anyway, I've got a complete set of 1941 Playballs that I purchased from Charles Conlon (I think) right after I got married and stopped accumulating. It's in pretty good shape too.

The best part of the story, though, is when I showed it to a colleague of my father, who, like my dad, was an English professor at Loyola University. This friend of my father was almost overcome with emotion upon looking at the set, and then, to my amazement, asked me to quiz him on the narratives on the back of the cards. He was able to orate, almost verbatim, the copy from the backs of most of the cards. This was in 1989!

The power of baseball cards. Both of us, him in his sixties, me in my thirties, were sort of embarrassed and elated at his memory. Red in the face and near tears. A great connecting moment when the old stuffy professor thought I was cool and I thought he was cool.