View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default Makes me want to go raw

Posted By: CoreyRS.hanus

"At the top, all 10's will look the same"

Not sure that is true, at least with some types of cards. For example, with N172's, I didn't think a card's photo contrast figured into the mix. So you can have a card slab a 10 with essentially horrible eye appeal.

"Third party grading is MOST VALUABLE in cases of your T206 Lajoie. It is SGC telling prospective buyers to beware of hard to see damage (paper loss, pin holes, creases, etc.)"

I think that is a terrific point.

While I know its been said many times, while I appreciate a grade reflects how a card measures up to technical defined criteria, in the end those criteria should be chosen and weighted such that the end result roughly approximates market value. When 2's can sell for more than 7's (as can be the case with blank-backed photographic cards such as many "N" issues), perhaps it's time the grading companies re-examined their criteria.

I'd love to see the grading companies put on the slab along with the final grade numbers that indicate the grading company's assessment of the various characteristics that (should) comprise the final grade - corners, centering, contrast, registration, back damage, etc. That would be the ultimate in third party objectivity and would give each prospective purchaser all the relevant info to make a valuation decision. And by keeping intact the "final' grade, it wouldn't interfere with the set registry or materially impact how price guides are prepared.