View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Default OT. Holy crap., It was how long ago?

Posted By: Steve

CN, In the perfect pre-9/11 world you're absolutely correct. However, when the situation calls for immediate life rescue, all "Standard Operating Procedures" are generally out the door. Forego establishing Command in lieu of rescue.

Remember, The scope of this wrong doing had never been experienced in modern history.

Imagine an Engine Company stopping a block (or several) away from a burning tenement with families trapped, because the company officer worries about collapse. It may appear wreckless on his part, as he, or she is unconcerned with setting up Command at this juncture. Unlike the PD, where some nut is out to "bust a cap" in the first uniform on scene, these guys react fast by nature, experience and training to people that are actually glad to see the flashing lights.

It's all about priorities and the location of CP was a low one in the first quarter of this ground breaking event. They're not naive, many knew their fate that morning, they're bombarded with reminders of the hazards day in and out. They were scared, but had no time to dwell, their concern was to get as many employees as possible out to the street. They knew the impossible odds, but took 'em. Manpower was needed and fast, the clipboard location HAD to be a low priority. IMO, casualties were unavoidable.

Incidentally, The next AM, when things settled, the Truck was retrieved and returned (minus it's six passengers of course) to it's Midtown House filthy with some minor damage, but mainly unscathed. It had been parked and stripped of it's rescue gear several blocks away from the WTC. (All I have is a thumbnail of TL-7's last photo on this PC.)

Let me ask this... If it happened again, would those guys hold back?.. Would you? I know the answer. I've pulled up and met cops with bloodshot eyes, coughing up soot and wearing partially burned dress blues. We're all insane, to a degree.

Pardon my rant. Steve F