View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Default Another T206 question

Posted By: Scot Reader

Rick,

Krause (Gray Cap) was discussed in K. Olbermann, "How Many Cards in the T206 Set?" VCBC Jan./Feb. 1997, 22-24. There, he writes:

"The ordinary pitching pose of Harry Krause of the A's has him in a distinctly white cap. This one in front of me has a gray one. Not completely gray, mind you. Gray bill, gray edges, but salt-and-pepper in the middle, as if it were almost an attempt at giving a tweed effect. Could've been drawn with a pencil, I suppose; except under very bright light, there doesn't seem to be any impression marks--even faint ones. The gray cap reflects light the same way as the blue sky background does. And there's the small matter of the name and team lettering, which differs from all of the 'white cap' cards I've seen. On this gray cap version, the lettering is resting right under the bottom outline border--nearly touching it. And the point of the 'A' in 'KRAUSE' isn't sitting up as high as it does on the white cap versions I've seen. What it looks like, in short, is a bad first effort. Maybe it was. Came to me through an Alan Rosen auction in the late '80s. Of the five cards I'm listing here, this is the one about which I have the most doubt."