View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Default My first time at the National

Posted By: Alan

Jim -

Excellent questions. Here's the short version:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths, so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. You and your son will have a fantastic time at the show, even if you don't buy anything. The variety and quality of the cards is amazing.

I'll be at the show both Thursday & Friday & would love to say hello.

If you aren't doing anything for dinner Friday night, I invite you & your son to come to a dinner that I'm coordinating at Shoeless Joe's restaurant at 6:15 pm (see the other threads for more details). I'd love for you & your son to stop by.

Alan