View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default Strange Ebay Business Model

Posted By: boxingcardman

I disagree with the implication of this thread that unless a seller starts every card in an absolute auction for a buck, he is doing something wrong. First of all, the sale Ebey is running is a fixed price sale, not an auction format sale. Second, not everyone who sells on Ebay has to unload their cards regardless of price; they can afford to wait if they don't get their price. Third, not everyone who sells on Ebay has the full-tiem dealer's or auction house's need to sell every item listed. They may be very happy if 1 in 10 actually sells. In fact, for many of the sellers during this form of Ebay sale, the listing is a cheap way to test the waters on rare and interesting items and see what sort of interest they bring. Some collectors are sellers if they can get their price and not otherwise. I know I have posted cards in these sales with that attitude and have turned down very nice offers on them simply because I wasn't going to sell unless the "magic" number came up.

On the buy side not everyone who is willing to buy an "overpriced" card is a "crazy"; I find that characterization to be quite condescending. They may have money to burn and not really care as much about price as they do about getting the card for a collection--and what's wrong with that. They may have been looking for a card for a while and finally finding it and being able to afford it, they aren't going to quibble over the price of an item that is going to be in their collection for a very long time. Yesterday, I got a W554 O'Doul from Kit Young's fixed price offering; the price was a bit more than I'd have liked but I've struck out trying to snag one on the cheap for quite some time, so I wasn't going to waffle on this one.

Finally, I like seeing really nice, really high ticket cards, even if they are "overpriced" for the market. I've seen some stuff that I could not afford but found very interesting.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc