View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default Is the shine off rookie card collecting?

Posted By: Cat

I have a few of Sergio's and Hal's former cards in my collection now and I don't think I paid less for them.

The dilemma as to what is certain players rookie card is an issue, but I feel my collection will never be perfect, so I don't really worry to much about the problem of "rookie definition." To me the true rookie is the card issued after his first major league appearance. "What's a card?" is also a problem. I don't like exhibits but I do have Gehrig's '25 exhibit. I like the W600s but don't consider them cards but I have Young's and Wagner's W600s (both are fairly rough).

I think the issues of "what's a card?" and "what's his rookie?" justs adds some flexibility. I use that flexibility to adjust my collection based on my taste. I like the looks of Gehrig's '25 exhibit so even though I generally don't like exhibits it is Gehrig's representation in my collection.

I have moved more to Prookies since I had many Goudeys as a player's card within my collection. I have replaced many with Zeenuts which I think are beautiful cards.