View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Default T213-1 Post'em if you got'em

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Leon - I would tend to argree with you that the fact that Type 2's and Type 3's were manufactured well after the T206 distribution would help clarify why Burdick did not include the Type 1's with the T206 set ***IF*** the Type 2's and 3's looked like the Type 1's. They don't - they are different in many ways; blue text, different card stock, different backs, gloss, etc. In fact, Type 2's and Type 3's look nothing like the Type 1's - or at least they do not appear similar in a substantial way.

So, the fact that Coupon produced two more "sets" (Type 2 and Type 3) after the 1909-1911 distribution of the T206 set should not have played a role in Burdick's decision to not include Type 1's in the T206 set although I agree with you that it probably did. Piedmont, for example, produced the art stamp series in 1914 - well after the break-up of the ATC and after the T206 series was over but this didn't stop Burdick from deciding that Piedmont should not be included with the T206 set. Sure, you can argue that Piedmont T206's look nothing like the art stamps - but Type 2's and 3's look nothing like Coupon Type 1's!

In fact, the time between the issuance of the Type 1's and Type 2's is 4 to 5 years (Type 1 in 1910, Type 2 in 1914/15) should support the fact that these should not have been grouped together by Burdick into 1 set. Type 3's were issued in 1919 - 9 years after the Type 1's. It is almost inconceivable to think that T213 were distributed over a 9 year period and during the course of the ATC break-up to boot! In fact, wouldn't that make Coupon's the longest distributed set if Burdick was correct and Coupon's should be correctly identified as a distinct set?

Most evidence seems to say that Type 1's and Type 2's and Type 3's were, in fact, all distinct issues. I know each of us can have our own opinions but I believe that Burdick dropped the ball and errored in not including Type 1's in the T-206 set. To borrow from a post in the other A-B-C-D thread:

(+) for INCLUDING Coupon Type 1's in the T206 set:

1--same size as standard T206
2--same images as T206's
3--identical inking for front caption
4--identical advertiser frame on reverse
5--same overall card design
6--same maker
7--born in 1910
8--Type 2 and Type 3 coupon were issued 4-5 years and 9 years, respectively, AFTER the type 1's and are visually very different in almost all aspects from Type 1's

(-) for NOT INCLUDING Coupon Type 1's in the T206 set:
1--thinner card stock - possibly explained by my theory that thicker stock would have torn the relatively thin paper wrapping of the Coupon cigarette pack which was not a slide and shell as shown above.
2--historically associated with T213-2 and T213-3 (perhaps due to Burdick incorrectly grouping Type 1's with 2's and 3's)