View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Default Sets that are Incorrectly Dated & Creating Future Change....

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hang on now, Jeremy...

What player in the Old Mill red border set do you have with 1907 stamped on the back? Have you checked to see if he was with that team in 1907???

I agree that some sets are identified in the guides with an incorrect date. I think the Metropolitan Studios set of the Cardinals should be 1932. I think it was produced AFTER the 1931 season, in honor of the World Champions. I think that some of the players are depicted with odd backgrounds because they weren't around in early 1932 for photographing, so old images of those players were reworked. Still, the guides say 1931.

I could take a 1954 Willie Mays NY Giants card, or a 1967 Willie Mays SF Giants card, or a 2006 Barry Bonds SF Giants card and stamp '1907' on the back, that doesn't make the card that old. Someone could have taken a T210 card in 1915 and stamped 1907 on the back for a kid for his 8th birthday... Lots of reasons why a card could have that on the back.

I think 1910 is correct for the Old Mill red border tobacco cards, the T210s. But I'd love to know who the player is on that card, so I could check to see if he was in baseball in 1907, and if so what his team was.

Thanks.

Frank.