View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Default SHOELESSJIM & Vintage Investment ebay situation

Posted By: boxingcardman

I buy and I sell. Until now, I would never leave bad feedback even when I paid $3-$4 for a $0.52 stamp on a plain envelope because of the retaliatory feedback issue.

Look at it from the customer side: You known darn well that the incremental cost of adding another card to a package is maybe $0.17 for ungraded, $0.54 for a graded card. You can even cap the actual cost. Per the USPS:

Flat Rate Boxes are available in multiple sizes and shapes to accommodate a variety of contents and shipping needs.
Both Flat Rate Boxes, the shirt box size (11" x 8.5" x 5.5") and the shoe box size (13.625" x 11.875" x 3.375"), can be used for domestic and international shipping.
— Available to anywhere in the U.S. for $9.80
The Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box, (12" x 12" x 5.5") is 50% larger than the original Flat Rate Boxes.
— Domestic $12.95

You can also use a flat rate priority 2# mailer for $4.75, which easily accommodates several raw cards with packing or 3-4slabbed cards.

You do not have to run to the PO to ship; they will come to you and pick up. If you use web generated postage you do not need to hand heavier parcels to the clerk, either.

I do not accept "I said $6 a card, so eat it." It may be right per your listing but it isn't fair. If you want to tick off a customer, stick with that. If you want to have a happy camper, however, take a little initiative and when you see someone buying a bunch of your cards, make the gesture with your invoice to reduce shipping some in recognition of the multiple purchase that reduces your work and costs. Instead of an angry recipient wielding negative feedbacks you get a happy potential future customer. If you want to make a tidy little profit on your shipping fees when someone is buying multiple lots from you, you have to expect some ticked off buyers when the postage is way less than the charge, especially now when everyone is feeling squeezed and when the penalty for leaving an accurate feedback for a seller is gone.

If I was the buyer in this case I'd have neg'ed you too, on every listing. He certainly felt gouged, especially when he got the packaging he received. Your response made things so much worse: you denied and danced when your response to the damage complaint should have been "sorry the cards were damaged; what can I do to work this out?"

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc