View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Default I Don't Understand the Compaints about E-bay's New Feedback

Posted By: boxingcardman

A few points here:

1. Paypal does screw over sellers but there is a solution: Don't take it. I do not accept it any more. People can readily send me a check or money order. If they use a Postal MO, I can cash it at the PO and ship at the same time.

2. I agree that feedback had become meaningless, more or less. I got burned a couple of times by sellers with great feedback.

3. A buyer's task is over when he pays for the card. Period. And I do not think a buyer has the obligation to post feedback unless and until the item is in hand. What else is there to post before then, "great job taking my payment"?

4. I rarely posted feedback under the old system; just wasn't worth it. I did nof feel I could accurately rate the transaction because a retaliatory negative was worse for me than a negative would have been for the seller.

5. Ebay's policies appear to be geared towards pushing out the small fry seller and favoring the larger sellers, store users, power sellers, etc. The best match searching thing is a joke obviously designed to promote bigger sellers rather than actually give the best match, as is the waiting for certain feedbacks, etc. I think ebay's longer term business model is to move from being the world's garage sale to being its biggest retailer. Plus, I think they are worried that one of these days they are going to be stuck hard in a lawsuit over the rampant fraud on the site, so they are taking all sorts of "window dressing" actions to prove they are doing all they can to stop it. That's why they are experimenting with paypal-only purchases in Australia, changing feedback to promote "honest feedback" from buyers, hiding ID's to prevent tracking of shillers and cheats (no complaints + no embarrassing articles like the ones on BRSZ = no problem), etc.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc