Thread: What to buy
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Default What to buy

Posted By: Bob

See, I guess I have a totally different philosophy about buying cards for investment purposes. I totally realize that set completion (and I am a big "set completer guy") may not offer the best return when you are putting it together card by card, but the thrill of the chase and the feeling of satisfaction does count for something. I know a lot of you don't want to pay high prices for a Doolan or a Gray or a Hoblitzell, but having a complete set is a thrill to some of us. As far as the economics go, rather than springing for a T210 Jackson or a high priced PSA 7, 8 or 9 prewar card, I'll let the guys who want to do that, do that, and more power to them. I would rather have a complete set in collectible (vgexish) condition. The upside may not be as great but the slippery slope downhill isn't there either. Regardless of how the economy stymies future card prices realized, I can always know that there will be a solid market for a nice E90-1 set or a T206 set minus the Big 4 or a colorful E94, 97 or 98 set, etc. Rarity DOES mean something, I agree, but if the "whales" disappear the harbor of high priced cards may be a lot less desirable...