View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Default MY T204 Mission Accomplished Thank You Peter!

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

I have always admired this set for its gaudiness. Nice photos, though.

I glanced over the set checklist to discover that I have owned about 55% of the depicted players' autographs. To complete a set of T204 autographs would likely be impossible. The set contains Bugs Raymond, a great character ("That man took seven years off my life"--John McGraw) who died in 1912. I have only seen a couple of truly authentic Raymond signatures. One of the players featured in The Glory of Their Times (was it Crawford?) noted that Raymond would often pay his numerous bar tabs by presenting a signed baseball to the barkeep. He would proclaim the ball to be the very sphere that was used to strike out (insert any HOF batter and noteworthy event here). I find it very odd that none of these balls have turned up over the years. At least I haven't seen any of them.

The autograph of another T204 player, Ed Karger, has eluded me my entire life. He died in 1957, so I would have thought early autograph completists such as Karl Wingler would have located him. Perhaps they did, but I have yet to see one offered for sale.

Sorry for the hijack. Back to your card talk.

EDIT: I'm starting to think it was Snodgrass who recounted that Raymond story. Oh, and I suppose I should remember to congratulate you on completing the set!