View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Default evolution of your collection

Posted By: Jimi

I've recently embraced the "25 Card HOF Collection" and am loving it! If my budget allowed, I'd be collecting the Nifty Fifty instead. I thought that once I got to a point where I didn't want to sell off any of my 25 cards, then I'd bump it up to a 30 Card HOF Collection and so on. Right now, however, I'm collecting prewar and postwar in that HOF Collection as the funds simply do not allow for me to do prewar only at this time. The idea will be to make it all prewar eventually. My road to this collection is similar to others.

I've always been a set collector and have always worked on a complete Topps Run. It can get very frustrating trying to get high numbered SPs and so on, and the 52T set is just a bear since most of the high numbers are commons and expensive. My shift went to HOFers and prewar almost exclusively 5 years ago, and dabbled with the T205s, T206s, T201s, and even completed the n28 set. Unfortunately, buying a new home costs money and the n28 was sold to help with furniture (DON'T EVER DO THAT!) This sorta forced me back into post war cards again. Partly, though, at that time I was ticked off at the high prewar prices, and quit it altogether.

Once, I got settled in the house and money was starting to come in a little more, I ound myself buying a complete Caramelo Deportivo set, working on the T205 set again, HOF Collection, complete Topps Run, and many many projects all at once. All that seems to lead to is stress on myself and my collection. I was back to reducing the inventory again.

The bottom line with the 25 Card HOF Collection is that you are dabbling with 25 cards....and that's it. Slows the tempo down for me and allows me to look for cards in that collection only. I still have a couple other projects working, but I am finally having a lot of fun right now!

Jimi