View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Default Trade card question / Show your trade cards!

Posted By: 1880nonsports

Near set and very clean....

Not exactly a trade card as it is a game ticket - but certainly under the umberella - as it is an EARLY example exhibiting a dual use - as exemplified by it's large size combined with actual graphics and the prominence of the two publisher's names as participants. It's in color and dated - and one of the few base ball related items I will keep as alas; my pockets not very deep - and the cost of the game where my tastes lie a bit too steep.

another favorite I posted once before...

Great series of four LARGE cards. Quite scarce. When I can find them - I'll post a couple of captured images and one other of mine along with this example. I'm having quite a difficult time completeing the set.

Always enjoyed this one - part cigar label & part trade card.

While Tobin wasn't up to the more refined artistic quality of Currier and Ives - this example and the one shown earlier are certainly the best of their work.

Note the weaker definition and lesser coloring on this one from a different lithographer. still neat....

From one of two GREAT series from sporting publications. There's a devilish quality Bosch-like feel about these and the detail work is terrific. I couldn't find my example to show that and it isn't evident on what I call the "intro card" which serves as a sort of cover or introduction to the set. Still love the composition and detail...

I have some others when i can get to them. I like collecting them when the opportunity arrises but I'm just "typeing" the difficult ones for now - as good ones are expensive and far and few between. That would divert the funds away from other stuff I'd like more and within my moderate budget . If you're interested in starting a collection for yourself - it's still basically affordable but for the National Chew (4-8 hundred dollar range), the set of four large, and the Tobins with named baseball players. If you can chase them - there's always a set of nine Tobin's in black and white... If you are interested in the only catalog I know of it was written by Frank Keetz (Jr. I think). It's not new and missing quite a few entries - but it's all we got and he did a pretty good job. BTW - Always interested in making offers for baseball trade cards.....

(edited for minor correction)