View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Default How to remove sticky-tabs from photo

Posted By: Steve

I bought one from that same collection. If I recall, these had two chemicals, old glue and the adhesive tabs making it more challenging. The black tabs softened and degraded easily.

This worked; One tab at a time and using distilled water (from the dehumidifier in the cellar or $1 @ Walgreens). With a q-tip lightly wet the black tab for a minute or two, NOT the paper (if the newspaper gets too wet it'll tear easily -let it dry then restart). Sand down (emery board) a sharp edge of a credit card and while continually damping the tab and without applying pressure to the print, gently nudge -not scrape, the black tab from the center towards the corner (using the smoothed edge against the print). There will likely be a little adhesive left on the print. I just dabbed a little talc on those spots to keep the paper from sticking to the matte before framing.

Wifee scrapbooks and has some chemicals that won't leave stains or residue on old pictures but will remove most old adhesives. You may want to try some first, UN-DU (both types) which didn't work for this 'restoration' but worked on other old cards. AC Moore carries them.

Rweply with the results and good luck, Steve F