View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Default Where Have All The Ultra High Grade Cards Gone?

Posted By: David Seaborn

I've certainly notice what Bruce is talking about, but to me this has been a general trend for several years now. Those of use who frequented shows years ago, such as the Ft. Washington show in the original location can remember really nice (and uncommon) cards being present. You just don't see them very much anymore. Go talk to someone with a lot of knowledge, like Terry Knouse, and ask him if he's seen the same pattern over the last few years at shows and major auctions, I'm sure he would 'Yes, absolutely!'.

Why is this? You have to remember there are high-grade vintage collectors with big appetites, especially on rare issues. They buy these cards when a 'find' is made or an old collector retires from the hobby and then squirrel them away in their collections, banks safety deposit boxes. Heck, I know of some that have even started museums and non-profits to keep the collections going. My point is that once bought, many of these cards will not see the light of day for years, maybe even generations. Add that to the fact that over time there are necessarily fewer and fewer 'finds', and I find it not surprising that the well is gradually running dry. For the truly rare and high grade vintage cards there's just way more demand than supply, that's why you can find a buyer but finding a seller is harder than licking your elbow.