View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Default Hobby veteran Tony Carrafiell passes away

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

There are many great experiences and conversations with Tony many of us could share with everyone.
I'd like to share these four.

Tony's Valley Forge Show in Nov 1983 featured Reggie Jackson. Hundreds of Reggie fans lined up for his
autograph. Two guys in line started fighting over their spot. Reggie jumped off the stage and broke up
the fight. A tremendous round of applause followed for Reggie. Tony was astonished.

Tony always featured some of the best ballplayers at his Show. One I will never forget is Ernie Banks.
Ernie is one of the most gracious players you could meet. When he entered the Show, he went around
to every dealer table, shook our hands and talked with us. After, his signing session, he came around
again looking for items for his collection and being the most friendly guy you could meet.

At one of Tony's shows in 1985 a big guy came to my table looking for 1949-1951 Bowman Phillies cards.
I had quite a few of these cards for him and gave him a nice deal. He shook my hand and thanked me. I
have never felt such a huge, firm, bone-crushing handshake. Later that day, Tony came over to me and
informed me that this big fellow was Chris Short. The next day Chris Short came back to my table with
another wantlist. I was thrilled, and I told him to sit down behind my table and I gave him two boxes of
Phillies cards to sort thru. We spent hours talking BaseBall (I did not bring up the 1964 season).

And, I will always remember when Tony had Ted Williams at his show. I was thinking of writing an article
on Ted's cards and I asked Tony if I could get an interview with Ted after the signing session. Tony ar-
ranged this with Ted; and, I started the conversation with Ted by showing him his 1954 Bowman card.
He alluded to his contract with Topps in 1954. Then Ted, with a big smile, started recalling the "bidding
war" between Topps and Fleer in early 1959 over the "Rights" to portray him in their BB card sets. I can
not fully describe to you the enthusiasm in Ted's voice relating this story to me. Ted could not believe
that Fleer outbid Topps and payed him $5000 to produce an 80-card set of him. What I thought would
be a short interview, lasted 45 minutes.....just "Talking Base Ball cards", with the great Ted.

Tony made events like these happen. I will always have fond memories of Tony....GOD BLESS you Tony
and your Family.

TED Z