View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Default Most enjoyable low-grade set building experience?

Posted By: Donny Muth

Hello all. I'm new here to the boards. I've been collecting since 1985, but have taken several breaks since that time. I have just recently started back with my vintage set building.

I am working on a 1965 Topps set. I started with the Mantle when I bought one in 1986 for $33 at Nostalgia World in Memphis, TN. Now I have about 230 in generally EM to NRMT condition. I just picked up 130+ 1965 cards from ebay that should net me about 50 EX-EM cards for that set.

My second set priority are the T206s (I have about 40 right now). I particularly enjoy collecting the T206 back variations.

I also have started 1959 & 1962 Topps, but I have less than 30 cards from those two. I'd like to do the 1955 and 1956 Topps too.

Enough with the background info... Right now, I am being tempted to start a low-grade set of some kind. I would be fine with Poor-Fine grade for this set I think. It would have to be one that I could build without alot of money (which I need to funnel mostly into the 65's and T206s). It would also be kinda fun to trade to get some of the cards... kinda bring back childhood memories of trading cards. I was kinda thinking something along the lines of T205s, T207s, 1933/34 Goudeys, or perhaps even 1952 Topps.

My questions to the board members are: What set(s) do you recommend? Have any of you taken on a similar set building adventure? Which low grade sets have you had the most fun completing and admiring?

Thanks for your feedback!

---Donny