View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Default An open letter to SCD

Posted By: Jim VB

True. Any periodical that is mailed from a central location, instead of a local printer suffers some of these problems. Magazines printed regionally (We get Sports Illustrated, Newsweek, People and Entertainment Weekly in our house.) seem to avoid the problem. Small circulation mags (SCD, and Track & Field News for example) suffer.

However, since I paid SCD, it should be their problem to figure out. They have been non-responsive to me on this issue. They will tell you that every issue should arrive at least 8 days before the cover date. In the last year, I could count those that have, on one hand.

I know for a fact that the local PO delivers them to me on the day they get their hands on them. (They have to. They don't have room to store anything.) Our city has grown from 6500 people in 1990 to over 100,000 today. The Postal workers are the busiest guys in town. Finally, in the last year, they opened remote drop off points at two storage facilities and one remote postal center. Before that everything, in and out, went through the one building.

The problem is on the other end... printing, distribution to the PO, or start-up handling. Frankly, I don't care which it is.

Put a fork in SCD. It's done.