View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Default An open letter to SCD

Posted By: Ben

I am relatively new to the card hobby and subscribed to SCD approximately 4 months ago. I have never felt my money was so wasted in all my life. SCD is probably the worst publication I have ever read.

As Jim pointed out you can go 3 weeks without receiving an issue and then all 3 show up in your mailbox at the same time. The magazine has very little content and is almost entirely made up of Mr Mint's face and laughable Coach's Corner auctions. Even though I am new to the hobby I immediately figured there was something wrong with an auction house that sold single signed Gehrig and Honus Wagner balls every week for several hundred dollars.

Every issue seems almost identical to the previous one. The little "1 Year Ago" "5 Years Ago" "10 Years Ago" piece they have is always the same, telling readers that the card hobby was collapsing and kids were not buying cards. After that they have a writer tell you how great the coach's corner auction was and then six pages of more bogus material from that auction house.

I really thought this publication would have something to offer a new collector but it certainly doesn't. It also seems to me that the publication could be made much better with minimal effort.

Sorry for the rant but each time I receive an issue in the mail I get angry. I'm glad someone started this thread!

Ben