View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Default German Baseball Stamps

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I believe there are actually two different sets that we refer to as the 1909-10 German Baseball Stamps. The first is like the one on Old Cardboard (& the one pictured below) with one name & team on front, the second being the variety like on Frank's site where the name & team are written twice. I have seen the same player in each version and the pictures (while they are the same) are printed in different colors, and in at least one case (Shannon) the team was different.

The one below I own and he is pictured for Boston, which is odd & I always wondered if it was a mistake and was meant to be Spike Shannon who was with New York from 1906-08, A few months ago there was an uncut sheet on ebay of the double named variety (which I believe are actually easier to come by) and Shannon with the same pic as mine was listed for New York, which solves the riddle as to who the Shannon was in the set, the colors on the two were totally different as stated earlier. There is a Joe Shannon that played for Boston for 5 games in 1915, and a Red Shannon for Boston that played in only one game, but that seemed like an unlikely date of issue, due to the player selection.

I should add that I have seen a Cobb with double name so there is likely other players not listed that exist.
-Rhett